Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Fish Called ?




Yes, I really am blogging about my fish. I can't help it. I'm in awe of this fish. Last Christmas (2009) Kent's brother and sister-in-law gave us a fish tank and 2 bags full of goldfish. We weren't sure if we should be grateful or ticked off, but we set up the tank and dumped in all the fish after we thought we had acclimated them to the new water temperature. Let's just say that over the next couple of days, we were fishing out fish (pun intended) from the tank left and right. The kids were a little traumatized I think. After all was said and done, only ONE goldfish survived.

Fast forward one year and this sole surviving fish is going strong, and what's more the goldfish has gotten huge. I had no idea goldfish could get that big. When I was 10 years old I won a goldfish at a school fair. My mother kindly bought me a little fish bowl where I put Goldie Hawn, yes that was her name, and she lived to a ripe old age of 2 weeks. I thought that happened to all goldfish...which I suppose I was partly right about. I mean, we did lose 19 fish in a matter of days last year. But, my point is that this fish, who remains nameless, is one hardy goldfish and I've grown oddly fond of him/her. Kent even calls him (I think it's a boy. I don't know why.) "your fish", as if I were the one who went out and bought a fish tank and 20 goldfish one day.

So, does anyone have suggestions for a name?

5 comments:

Parker Family said...

Don't name him/her. I might die as soon as you do.

Lara Neves said...

I only recently learned that goldfish will grow as big as the tank/bowl they are in allows them to. So many people consider it fish abuse to use a small bowl.

That said, in college, my roommates and I had three hardy goldfish in a fairly small bowl, and they lived and lived and lived, despite the fact that we rarely cleaned them out and often forgot to feed them.

When the first roommate got married, she took them with her and they lived for several more years.

We named them "The troupers" due to their invincibility in the face of 6 irresponsible co-eds.

Liisa said...

How about "Wonder" in deference to "A Fish Called Wanda'?

Financial Aid for College said...

Hey, I like the Wonder name! it IS a wonder, isn't it? If it's a girl fish who is especially sweet, you could call her Stevia Wonder. (Har, Har!)

Omgirl said...

I think you should name him after one of the Hardy boys since he is so hardy!

On the other hand, if you've gone this long w/o naming him, maybe you should just keep him anonymous.