Sunday, August 22, 2010

No TV Week


Today begins No TV Week in our household. The bishop in our church asked everyone in the congregation to go one week without TV or digital entertainment. This will be no easy feat with so many little ones at home, but I'm counting on their creativity to save the day. As long as it doesn't involve "painting" the playroom with my makeup, toothpaste, permanent markers or actual paint (yes, all 4 of these have happened in the last year!)

As for me, I think I will somehow get through my Stargate and Star Trek withdrawals. Kent isn't sure he'll make it without Arizona Diamondbacks baseball. But, I think in the end this will be a great time for our family to find other ways to be together. Maija and Bekah have already started working on puzzles; I've started reading a new book (see my "Books I'm Reading" list on the right side of the blog); and Kent and I have both had a couple of good naps today, which sort of segues nicely from my previous blog post. Ah, sweet slumber!

A few interesting anti-TV links (not that I'm anti-TV entirely, I have to add):

http://www.trashyourtv.com/
http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/
http://kidshealth.org/parent/positive/family/tv_affects_child.html

1 comment:

Financial Aid for College said...

YOU GO GIRL!!
Of course, I have been off TV since 2001, since everywhere I've lived since then didn't have free TV stations, and I'm not about to pay for the profane, immoral stuff they show! (Even though it IS often fascinating.) And you know what? I hardly miss it. I do watch DVDs with the grandkids.