Sunday, September 5, 2010

Piece O' Steel

Kent and I have been watching Tyler Perry movies lately: Diary of a Mad Black Woman, Meet the Browns, The Family That Preys, Madea Goes to Jail (actually next on our list). For anyone who hasn't heard of Tyler Perry, which is most of white America, you can read about him here and here. He's a Christian filmmaker who uses his culture, African American culture, as a backdrop for important messages of hope and faith. And he also uses humor in the form of Madea, the gun-toting, Bible quoting, grandmother figure who is always there to help the down-and-out.

Here are some of my favorite Madea quotes:

Myrtle quoting the Bible: "Peace be still." That's what he said.
Madea: Well, peace always comes with still... [takes out gun] ... 'cause I keeps me a piece o' steel.


Madea: I remember this dude made me so mad, I didn't even know how mad I was until I went to his funeral.
Helen: Why were you so mad at him?
Madea: Because he hit me. Yes he hit me... and I didn't even know how mad I was until I saw him in his casket, he's 8 feet under.
Myrtle: 6 feet, that's how they bury people, Madea, 6 feet under.
Madea: That's what I'm trying to say, I thought I was over what he did to me until I saw him at the funeral, I was so mad I BEAT HIM DOWN 2 more feet.

3 comments:

Financial Aid for College said...

Sounds like a ton of fun! Where can I find this show?

I absolutely adore your daily galaxy photos! They make me so homesick I could cry!

kimberlina said...

I have the same reaction to the galaxy pictures. I long to be out there seeing the galaxy for myself. One day I will, but probably not in this life :-)

Most video rental stores should have the Tyler Perry movies. We do Netflix and all of them are available in their rental library. I would imagine Blockbuster and Hollywood videos have them too...probably even the local library would have them. Diary of a Mad Black Woman is the first one.

Jen Johnson said...

I like some of his stuff!:)